These Homemade Dog Treats are made with peanut butter, but can easily be substituted with other pet-friendly flavours such as sweet potatoes, pumpkin or even carrots.
The dough for these dog biscuits is very firm and sticky, but don’t let that scare you! You’re making it right! I rolled my dough to about half an inch thick before cutting out the shapes, and they turned out great.
The dough only rises slightly, so you can cut out almost any shape and it will hold
Having a cute cookie cutter for your homemade dog treats is fun but not necessary. You can always just make traditional “cookies” with any cutter you have at home or even the bottom of a cup to make round cookies.
Homemade Dog Treats are the best way to show your pet that you love them like family! These Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats are an easy dog biscuit recipe that your fur baby would request every week if they could.
• 2½ cups whole wheat flour 300 grams
• 1 large egg 50 grams
• 1 cup peanut butter 270 grams
• 1 cup water 227 grams
• 2 tablespoons honey 43 grams
•2 tablespoons peanut butter 34 grams
• 1 tablespoon honey 21 grams
• ⅓ cup cornstarch 37 grams (can also use potato starch or arrowroot powder)
• 3-4 tablespoons hot water 43-57 grams
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and the egg. Add the peanut butter, water, and honey, and stir until you have a stiff dough. The dough becomes very firm and sticky. You may need to use your hands, or the paddle attachment on your mixer.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough about ½-inch thick and use a cookie cutter to make fun shapes. The treats barely spread and rise, so get creative with your shapes.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden. Once done, set aside to cool. (If you have smaller cookies, use less time, otherwise the bottom might burn.)
- To make the frosting, combine the peanut butter and honey in a microwavable bowl, and heat in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- Add the melted peanut butter mixture to the cornstarch and stir until just combined.
- Slowly add in the water 1 tablespoon at a time until you have reached the consistency that you would like. For a thinner frosting, add more water.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag and pipe designs on top of each dog treat.
- Frost the treats with the peanut butter/honey mixture for an even more tempting cookie.